“Hitting a rock with an egg”. You might have heard of this Korean saying. Student activists of 1980’s fighting against the Chun Doo-hwan’s military dictatorship had heard this quote very often. It meant how in the world mere students would beat the dictator with enormous power.
You know what? It did happen. The rock was finally broken in June 1987 by collective power of citizens nationwide, an event that would not have been possible with one man power. It is called June Struggle or June Democracy Movement.
※Source of photo
- Korea Democracy Foundation
- Park Jong-cheol Foundation for Democracy
- The Kyungyang Shinmun
- The Maeil Shinmun
- The Washington committee on Korea Congress for Democracy and Reunification in North America
- Pan-national Rally Preparatory Committee to Condemn the Cover-up of Tortured Death of Park Jong-cheol
- The founding of the National Movement Headquarters for Democratic Constitution
- Former Reporter of UPI jeong Tae-won
- Park Yong-su
- Eo su-gap
[민주화운동기념관] 04322 서울특별시 용산구 한강대로71길 37
[민주화운동기념사업회] 16029 경기도 의왕시 내손순환로 132 | T.031-361-9500 F.031-361-9576